President of the College
The Board of Trustees of Thomas More College invites nominations and applications for the position of President
Thomas More College (www.ThomasMore.edu) is a Catholic, liberal arts college with a national reputation for excellent education, community commitment and student success. The College is committed to preparing students to be fully engaged citizens who will serve society as disciplined thinkers and ethical leaders. Thomas More takes pride in offering its students an environment where academic excellence, small classes and committed faculty are hallmarks. Since its founding in 1921 as Villa Madonna College, Thomas More College has provided its students an educational experience of the highest quality. Welcoming students of all faiths, the College's mission is to develop and sustain challenging undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs of study, marked by superior teaching and scholarship within the Catholic intellectual tradition. Inspired by the teachings of the Catholic Church, and by its patron, Saint Thomas More, the College challenges students to examine the ultimate meaning of life, their place in the world, and their responsibility to others. Educational opportunities are combined with athletic, social, spiritual, and community service involvement. Graduates of Thomas More College are prepared to take their place as confident, professional men and women who are recognized as leaders and respected as responsible members of their communities.
Thomas More now serves approximately 1,900 full- and part-time students from across the country and around the world on its beautiful campus in Crestview Hills, Kentucky. Just 10 minutes from downtown Cincinnati, the campus is situated on 100 acres of beautiful rolling hills, with the scenic Ohio River nearby. Student activities are as diverse as the student body itself. Money Magazine ranks Thomas More as one of the "Best College Buys" in higher education and the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching praises the college as a "selective liberal arts college."
Following on the successes built by the retiring President, Sister Margaret Stallmeyer, C.D.P., the new President will be instrumental in promoting the vision for the new comprehensive five-year strategic plan that focuses on the following goals:
- Foster the development of the whole person through a sense of campus vibrancy and community
- Increase enrollment of students who are academically qualified and ready
- Increase fiscal resources necessary to strengthen financial stability in order to meet the physical, technological, and human resource needs of the College
- Strengthen the College's engagement with the broader community
- Communicate and support the College's Catholic liberal arts tradition
- Enhance the quality of academic programs
Reporting directly to the Board of Trustees, the President is the chief executive officer and is ultimately responsible for the leadership and administration of academic, business, and fiscal operations of the College. The Board is seeking an experienced professional who is knowledgeable about Catholic, liberal arts higher education, and has a strong background and demonstrated successful experience in administration, preferably in a higher education setting.
The President will:
- have the vision to lead Thomas More College in the current dynamic environment of higher education
- communicate and work effectively with faculty, students, staff, members of the Board, alumni, donors and the community
- be committed to increase enrollment as well as retention at the College
- conduct fundraising and community and external relations
- articulate the mission to a variety of constituencies
- be a motivator who will lead by example
- be knowledgeable about trends in higher education
- have a true business savvy
- share the vision and mission of Thomas More College in a secular society
- execute the strategic plan for the College
The ideal candidate must be a practicing Catholic and should have the credentials appropriate for a college president: a PhD or equivalent; a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience that includes increasing responsibility, preferably in higher education; demonstrated success in a leadership role; a comprehensive understanding of the higher education market; experience in strategic planning; and the skills necessary for building important relationships for growth of the College. The new President will have impeccable integrity, exemplary oral and written communication skills, a record of proven leadership ability and vision, and the commitment to the mission, vision and values of the College. The Thomas More Search Committee will begin review of applications following the March 1, 2013 deadline. The anticipated start date for the new President is July, 2013.
Thomas More College is being assisted by the search firm: Hyatt-Fennell. Materials should be submitted to: Cheryl Hyatt at ThomasMore@hyatt-fennell.com.
Applications will include a focused letter of interest indicating position, a current r'sum', and complete contact information for five professional references. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.